Re: Some Problems with Lenny

Hi Martin,

On Sonntag, 10. Januar 2010, Martin Schulte wrote:
> > that's a (IMO questionable) feature. what version of lwat do you have
> > installed?
>
> How to find out? I did an 'apt-get upgrade' after installation, so I
> think is the newest one.

dpkg -l lwat

> Is there no way to change the password manual.

as Klausade said:

You can change it in /etc/lwat/config.php use this line:
$allowPwSet = true ;

> >> 2.) I installed the mainserver and a workstation on 'Terra Mobile 2103
> >> (Model M66SE)' laptops. While booting I get the alert:
> >>        Failed to read splash image ((hd0,0)//grub/splash.xpm.gz)
> >>        Press any key to continue...
> >>     This problem does not occure, using etch.
> >>     While booting, the screen get's red-white stripped for some seconds.
> >
> > does "apt-get remove usplash" help?
>
> No.

I think John's reply was more helpful for this issue than mines.. ;)

> >> 3. On this laptop, using KDE, I have to adjust the screen-size and the
> >> resolution manual. By default it's to big and the resolution is to low.
> >> E.g. I can't         see the KDE-Taskbar. I think, there is also an
> >> problem with rendering. Is there a possibility (software, or something)
> >> to include graphic-drivers automatically?
> >
> > what's the output of "lspci -nn"? (but i think we cannot do much. You
> > should install Debian squeeze and test if the problem is still there, and
> > if it is, file a bug in the Debian BTS.)

this is the relevant line:

> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC] [1106:3371] (rev 01)

I dont really know this hardware, but a quick check on
http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ seems to say that it needs a fairly new kernel
(2.6.32) and viafb...

So it might very well be that this new laptop is not supported by pure lenny.

You could give a lenny debian-installer with 2.6.32 a try first, its available
here: http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

If that failes, try squeeze with a 2.6.32 from sid, or pure sid.

Remember to load the viafb module.

cheers,
	Holger