LTSP Bonding / Load Balancing

Hello,

just arrived has a new switch with 2 Gigabit Uplink (yeah!).
We discussed about bonding and bottle necks in bandwidth or CPU.

As I have a 2nd (identical) LTSP machine, why not do something like
"server bonding" - or even load balancing.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/HowTo/NetworkClients

describes how to do this by moving thin clients to 10.0.2.0/23.

Iff the switch has v-lan, we could just split the room (14 clients) to
make 7 client each use one LTSP server.

Otherwise it should be easy to make those clients see both LTSP,
provided that
- the servers get different IPs (192.168.0.254 + 253)
- the less busy server is faster with DHCP

What do you think?

I also found these hints by Martin Herweg:

> During the last LTSP developer conference we had two very interesting
> presentations of useful software for LTSP.
> Ivan Krestic from Kroatia explained how he has used openSSI to build a
> cluster of LTSP servers at the Childrens Hospital in Zagreb. His
> experience using openSSI to create a scalable LTSP system is very
good. You can see his slides at

http://hcs.harvard.edu/~krstic/11-2005-clustering-ltsp.pdf

> Gideon Romm gave a demonstration of his Symbiont Workstation Manager
> which is a Webmin-based frontend for managing LTSP. His project is
> hosted on Sourceforge, see

http://sourceforge.net/projects/symbiont

Thanks
Ralf