Re: Widen LTSP uplink / Re: ltsp hardware again

Lørdag 15. august 2009, skrev José "L. Redrejo" Rodríguez:
> Local Apps is a LTSP, with thin clients where some applications can
> be run by the thin client instead of by the server.

This was one of the major design wins when making LTSP 5 with Diskless.

> We're using it in Extremadura to run the web browser when flash is
> used and to run the vlc client when a video broadcast is launch to
> the classroom by the teacher. So: it's a thin client, boots like a
> thin client, the users login in a thin client, but for some
> applications, LTSP has a mechanism to run the applications in the
> thin client instead of running it in the server.

Thank you for explaining this :)

> That way we:
> a) avoid all the buggy/awful/bad programmed/shitty/[put any of your
> opinions about flash here] web pages with flash animations collapse
> the LTSP server cpu when they need 100% of a computer cpu
> b) multimedia works perfectly using broadcast with high quality
> videos from the ltsp server to the thin clients and the thin clients
> decode the streaming by themselves.

This solves the browser plugin hell and the problem with network
saturation. Given skilful design of the network with 2Gbit/s network
card on the server side connected to 24 port 100 Mbit/s switch, I guess
you could run 48 thin clients with moderate video and flash quality --
given that each switch got an 2Gbit/s input.

Can you confirm or refuse this claim José, since it's really useful info
when recommending network configuration for different client alternatives
in schools :)

Best regards

Knut Yrvin