Re: Skolelinux in Nepal?

* Brennan Holten <brennan.holten@gmail.com> [090810 13:54]:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm currently spending the summer teaching high school mathematics and
> science in Kathmandu, Nepal. Thus far, I've found the computer education
> here to be drastically substandard; so when I get back to the States, I'm
> planning on donating some hardware for them to use with Skolelinux
> installed.

do you have contact to the local OLPC people?

When I remember right, at the moment there are arriving 6000 OLPC
Computers in Nepal.

Christoph Derndorfer is engaged in deploying them.

@Christoph: What do you think?

> I was just curious if anyone else was working on getting Debian/Skolelinux
> in schools in Nepal. For obvious reasons, I think it would be a great
> blessing for them, as the only way most of them can afford computers is to
> use pirated proprietary software -- and even then, the computer education
> simply consists of learning to type in notepad.

We have also the Linux4Afrika Projekt in Germany, an NGO which
collects Hardware and brings them to schools in Africa.
I will inform them, perhaps we could join forces.

> Kind regards,
> Brennan Holten

Our plans are, to have the OLPC Software running on Skolelinux
too. Jonas is packaging sugar to have all as debian-package.

So if you need some help, do not hesitate to ask for.

Regards/AmicaLinuxement/Saludos/Viele Gruesse!
Kurt Gramlich
Projektleitung skolelinux.de
--
kurt@skolelinux.de