Re: Skolelinux in Nepal?

Kurt,

thanks a lot for forwarding the message.

Brennan,

as Kurt mentioned I'm also currently here in Kathmandu volunteering with OLE Nepal (http://olenepal.org/), the local Nepali NGO designing interactive educational content in English, Mathematics and Nepali for grades 2, 3 and 6. The organization has currently deployed almost 2200 XOs in 6 different districts and will be adding more XOs at the beginning of 2010.

If you're interested in more information you can ping me off-list at this e-mail address or christoph@olpcnews.com, alternatively you can also find me on IRC on Freenode's #sugar from 9AM to 5AM on workdays.

Cheers,
Christoph

Kurt Gramlich schrieb:
* Brennan Holten <brennan.holten@gmail.com> [090810 13:54]:

Dear all,

I'm currently spending the summer teaching high school mathematics and
science in Kathmandu, Nepal. Thus far, I've found the computer education
here to be drastically substandard; so when I get back to the States, I'm
planning on donating some hardware for them to use with Skolelinux
installed.

do you have contact to the local OLPC people?

When I remember right, at the moment there are arriving 6000 OLPC
Computers in Nepal.

Christoph Derndorfer is engaged in deploying them.

@Christoph: What do you think?
I was just curious if anyone else was working on getting Debian/Skolelinux
in schools in Nepal. For obvious reasons, I think it would be a great
blessing for them, as the only way most of them can afford computers is to
use pirated proprietary software -- and even then, the computer education
simply consists of learning to type in notepad.

We have also the Linux4Afrika Projekt in Germany, an NGO which
collects Hardware and brings them to schools in Africa.
I will inform them, perhaps we could join forces.

Kind regards,
Brennan Holten

Our plans are, to have the OLPC Software running on Skolelinux
too. Jonas is packaging sugar to have all as debian-package.

So if you need some help, do not hesitate to ask for.

Regards/AmicaLinuxement/Saludos/Viele Gruesse!
Kurt Gramlich
Projektleitung skolelinux.de

--
Christoph Derndorfer