Re: Access control by host and user //Re: time control for remote ssh/sftp access

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 09:54:05AM +0100, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 16. Dezember 2009 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
Perhaps if you elaborate on the use case: I do not understand how
 you  find PAM relevant for a case of (as I understand it) guest
 users on a separate subnet.

Hi Jonas,

thank you for asking questions. Aparently my use case was not described
thoroughly enough:

Apart from 5 guest users assigned to those 5 machines, our students use
them as well (using their personal login). This implies that these
machines are part of the 10.0.2.0/23 net and all accounts are in
tjener's LDAP (no subnet).

Ahh, makes sense (even to me) now.

As discussed already you can limit login via PAM settings. That can be circumvented by clever users, however.

For diskless clients you should be able to use shorewall - see the USER/GROUP column of the interfaces config file documented here: http://www.shorewall.net/manpages/shorewall-rules.html . For this to be really secure, the firewall should also block diskless client from talking to anything but their server(s), not circumvent the limits by somehow starting applications locally.

For more self-contained clients I believe Shorewall cannot support this requirement (if I understand it correctly). You should be able to do such things with the nufw tool, I believe.

 - Jonas