Re: ltsp swap files

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 11:18:17AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Holger Levsen]
> > Shouldnt we put this in cron? Also, the manual recommends to use
> > 512mb sized swap files for workstations with 256mb ram, currently we
> > create 32mb sized swapfiles. This is suitable for thin-clients but
> > quite useless for diskless workstations - shouldn't we raise this?
> > (For this we would probably need to raise harddisc requierments
> > again, but I dont see that as such a big problem.)

maybe i'm wrong, but i can't imagine a machine using that much swap over an NBD
device would be useable.

> As far as I know, there is no need to change this.  The thin clients
> will ask for more swap when running out, and the swap will be added in
> 32MB increments. :)

really? how is this accomplished?

i also seem to recall that in debian-edu swap files were hard-coded based on ip
address...  this would mean that multiple requests for a swap file would result
in the same exact file, which wouldn't work well for swap.

time to go digging into the code...

live well,
  vagrant