Re: ltsp swap files (Re: killer in the manual

Hi,

On Donnerstag, 5. November 2009, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > that would result in less frequent wrong "kills", but still has the
> > potential of wrong kills. I wouldn't do that. Especially as killer
> > is/was a new package for lenny, I think we are better of not
> > enabling a half-working feature by default. It's also documented in
> > the manual now how to enable it if one really wants it.
> The killer program was introduced to fix problems reported at schools,
> with leftover processes and running out of resources.  I hope we can
> make sure the lenny release fixes this problem, as it affect a lot of
> schools.

Schools which have this issues can follow
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/Administration#Automaticcleanupofleft-overprocess

> Another approach would be to teack killer to look for host group
> membership, and only run when the current host is in a group.  It
> would allow schools to enable it on single hosts using lwat and LDAP
> group memberships.

Do you really think this will happen soon enough to be included in our lenny
release? Assuming we release lenny this year....

> > Shouldnt we put this in cron? Also, the manual recommends to use
> > 512mb sized swap files for workstations with 256mb ram, currently we
> > create 32mb sized swapfiles. This is suitable for thin-clients but
> > quite useless for diskless workstations - shouldn't we raise this?
> > (For this we would probably need to raise harddisc requierments
> > again, but I dont see that as such a big problem.)
>
> As far as I know, there is no need to change this.  The thin clients
> will ask for more swap when running out, and the swap will be added in
> 32MB increments. :)

The we should probably reword the stuff about swap in
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/Requirements#Hardwarerequirements
?!

regards,
	Holger