Re: Edubuntu's focus, and future.

El lun, 25-05-2009 a las 22:00 -0400, Christopher Olah escribió:
> Greetings All!
>
>     While we are discussing "Edubuntu's focus, and future." it seems
> like an appropriate time bring up a topic thats been discussed
> occasionally in the past: packaging books. apt could have packages for
> books that install them in /usr/books or /usr/share/books...
>
>     Doing this has several advantages:
>
>       -  Promotes Open Books
>       -  Is convenient for schools (create a metapackage for a
> standard set of books for CS labs)
>       -  Is useful for when your offline.
>       -  Puts everything in one spot.
>       -  Integrates it with the way software is managed.
>       -  et cetera...
>
>   But despite hearing occasional comments on it, nothing to this end
> seems to be being done. So my questions are:
>
>       -  Is someone working on it? Who?
>       -  If not, is there some fatal flaw in this idea.
>
>   If I've just missed something, then apologies in advance.

That idea is something I've tried to implement sometimes, but I've
always crashed against the same wall: Most educative books include flash
animations or pdf files. When they include flash animations, sometimes I
even have the sources and a free license, but I have no idea of how to
compile flash sources to get the swf files. Maybe using ming or mtasc it
can be done, but that's a field I don't know. If someone knows how to do
it, it would be a needed step to package educative books and upload them
to Debian.

As an example of what I  mean:  flowplayer[1] or xspf player[2] work
perfectly in gnash (lenny version) and  are gpl'ed apps. Can they be
compiled in a free OS?

Any help on how making a Debian package that compile swf files would be
very welcome.

Regards
José L.

[1] http://flowplayer.org/