Re: Most popular packages currently missing on the lenny-test DVD

Fredag 10. april 2009, skrev Jonas Smedegaard:
> Could you please describe what it is one should expect of a PDF
> viewer when used with a PDF containing forms?

The question was if I can fill out the forms, and the data are preserved.
That was what I tested. And that works.

> Which tests could be tried on other viewers to compare them with
> Okular?

I did not do a comparison with different PDF viewers. I answered a
suggestion that Okular did not handle forms (cause a bug). Well, that
bug was fixed in Okular version 0.7 more than half a year ago.

> What other features is needed/wanted from a PDF viewer for
> educational use?  Is it e.g. interesting (or perhaps even crucial, as
> it is for profesional DtP) to support color profiles correctly?

I haven't heard about any school asking for colour profiling for PDF's.
What I've experience is that some do colour profiling in the DtP tool
Scribus.

It is an other interesting feature in Okular. With an accessibility
setting users can invert colours, making a PDF more readable.

> It is great if current Okular fits current needs of Skolelinux in
> norway.  But other Skolelinux (and Debian) environments favor
> different desktops than KDE and could benefit from understanding in
> more detail what is working great in KDE.

QGtkStyle has been available for almost a year. This makes KDE 4
applications as Okular blend perfectly into a Gtk-based desktop as
Gnome. Please consult this news items and blog posts:

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2008/05/13/introducing-qgtkstyle/
http://www.osnews.com/story/19744
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/15/1319204

Also, there are an accelerated cooperation between desktop projects this
days solving common issues, making everything work. This year KDE e.V.
and the GNOME Foundation are co-hosting GUADEC and aKademy, labeled as
Gran Canaria Desktop Summit:

http://www.grancanariadesktopsummit.org/

Unfortunately there are several issues already solved between KDE and
Gnome, where other free software products are lagging behind.

Amongst several issues, additional work are needed when integrating
Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice.org on a Gnome or KDE desktop. If the
GNU+Linux distributions does nothing, Firefox keep it's own look. The
same goes for OpenOffice.org and Thunderbird.

The added configurations for native look are also made differently by
different distributions. Today such things are already solved or made
much more easy between Gnome and KDE, letting the distributions work
less on look and feel. This is a result of the joint work in the Free
Desktop project started nine years ago.

I know that Firefox are working on several issues when talking about
technical integration on the GNU+Linux desktop. But their branding
policy makes integration more costly for Debian.  I hope Firefox pay
more attention on integration issues, even if Firefox are doing
counterproductive things regarding brading.

Based on this effort, I urge Jonas Smedegaard and others to ask free
software projects to join the freedesktop.org effort, making integration
more easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedesktop.org

Best regards

Knut Yrvin