Re: stop aptitude removing packages

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 5:00 PM, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez
<jredrejo@edu.juntaextremadura.net> wrote:
> El jue, 18-09-2008 a las 16:30 +0900, nigel barker escribió:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> You may remember helping me to remove OOo2.0 so that I could install 2.4
>> debs from OO.org.
>> The problem is that now each time I upgrade, aptitude removes open
>> office, and I have to reinstall it:
>> --------------
>> The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
>>   openoffice.org-base openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-draw
>>   openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-writer
>>
>> How do I stop this happening?
>>

> There are several possible reasons for that, but the most common is:
> Those packages have been probably installed by dependency or
> recommendation of a package that you've already uninstalled
> ( openoffice.org maybe ?). In that  case you only need to tell aptitude
> that you do want those packages installed. I.E.: "aptitude install
> openoffice.org-base" will avoid aptitude removing openoffice.org-base
> next time.
>
> There are also other possible reasons, as having some conflict between
> packages or needed dependencies that can not be fulfilled. That case
> would be worst, then you need to do aptitude install openoffice.org-base
> and follow the line of messages complaining to find the guilty one.

If there are no conflicts among packages or potential dependencies,
you can solve this problem like this:
  1. run `aptitude' as root
  2. find those packages, usually you will find them in `locally install'
      catalogue
  3. move the cursor to title of package, press `=' and you will find a
      `h' before the title of package, which means this package will be
       hold always, it will never be removed until you permit this operation.

--
Regards,