Re: Do we need all these duplicate packages on the CD?

[Holger Levsen]
> Why a few rebuilds and not one? I guess you really mean "a few" and
> I suspect the cause for the reason is somehow related to that..

Because there are probably a few of the packages we want on the CD
depending on different versions of some packages, and rebuilding the
packages to get them to depend on the latest version will solve this
issue.  In some cases (libdb*), it might need changes in the code as
well.

> How are the package lists generated? I expect that bug is in our
> code somewhere and not in debian-cd..

The package list is generated by doing find /path/to/cd -name '*.deb'
and running basename on the output.

This is not the first time I see such duplicate packages.  The source
is either dependencies that should be updated, or the inclusion of
alternative dependencies (as in 'Depends: X | Y | Z'), where all the
alternative dependencies are pulled in.  The former is fixed by
rebuilding packages to update their dependencies, while the latter is
fixed by either excluding the ones of X, Y or Z we do not want on the
CD, or by adding the one we want in the hints file(s).

To figure out which it is, one can either try to remove a given
package from an installed system and see what have to be removed
together with it, or try to exclude a package from the CD and see
which reverse dependencies are dropped from the CD.  Note that issues
with the dependency tracking in debian-cd sometimes result in
suprising results.

Happy hacking,