Re: Apt repository interoperability

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:59:19AM +0200, Herman Robak wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:26:13 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:

> Bungy jumping is not the best parallell, statistically speaking. Third
> party repositories are more analogous to unsafe sex, both in the sense
> of what it does and in terms of how many are doing it.

Yeah - let's talk about sex!  :-)

>> But I do question that it is a duty of parents to include bungy jump
>> in raising their kids.
>
> Will you also forego "the talk" about contraceptives?  I guess you
> won't.  But parents who think abstaining is The Right Thing would be
> delighted to follow your line of reasoning.
>

>> So no, I do not believe that Debian, Debian-edu or Ubuntu would be
>> improved by adding features to guide you in doing things you are not
>> supposed to do, even if it is common.
>
> Replace "not supposed to do" with "having sex", and you may realise
> that you are sticking your head in the sand.

No, I just realize that when changing apples with oranges, I would
express myself differently :-)

I believe that our kids already know that having sex is related to
getting pregnant and getting AIDS.  They just do it anyway.

You seem to think that more adult talk make them behave wiser.

I disagree that hanging AIDS posters in bedrooms improves things.

I am a big fan of the expression "Don't do anything I wouldn't have
done" - because it becomes a joke when you reflect on it (and if you
know a bit of my actual past).  I want *Reflection* from my kids, not
"paying attention" or "doing as told".

I welcome fucking(!) up Debian systems.  Either you knew that it was
dangerous and decided to take your chances, or you didn't and learn the
hard way that pushing the red button can make things go "Booom!".

Contrary to unsafe sex, this is not life and death.  GoPlay! :-)

  - Jonas

- --