Re: Stress test in ltsp

El vie, 18-04-2008 a las 15:52 +0200, RalfGesellensetter escribió:
> Hi José,
>
> thank you for your comprehensive testings.
>
> Am Mittwoch 16 April 2008 schrieb José L. Redrejo Rodríguez:
> > - There was a ¿funny? result: the Xeon machine raised its CPU use to
> > 100% when Openoffice started, with the Quad Core  the CPU didn't
> > raise more than 20%. Because of it, when using the Xeon server some
> > of the clients where stalled for several seconds when starting X.
> > Anyway, the starting time was about 5" less when using the Xeon for
> > the clients that didn't stall.
>
> Please allow me to throw in two related "issues"
>
> 1. On a (backports polluted) LTSP (originally based on Sarge), today
>    I had a 100% CPU load (quadcore!) preventing additional users from
>    login (KDE login hang). Reason: famd.
>    Restarting the fam daemon solved the problem.
>    (I will upgrade that machine soon, anyway. For now I did a downgrade
>     on fam. )

I'm not using fam nor gamin.

> 2. Most heavy load is caused by Java and Flash applets (14 kids gaming
>    or watching youtube videos). In such moments, additional terminals
>    boot in slow motion (one line per second). I realised that upstream
>    traffic was permanent 100 MB/s which is 100%. Here, the bandwith gets
>    to its limit apparently.

Yes, I've already noticed this. Using 1 Gb link between the ltsp server
and the switch (it's a 24 10/100 Mbits ports with 2 1 Gbps port switch)
solved it.

Anyway, I'm still wondering why nobody has done (or thought, or maybe
thought but didn't tell it, or I just didn't look right and haven't
found it) in implementing QoS between the server and the clients. That
would avoid those situations, where a few clients steal all the
bandwith, leaving the rest without a chance to even start up.

Cheers.