Re: Stress test in ltsp

Hi José,

thank you for your comprehensive testings.

Am Mittwoch 16 April 2008 schrieb José L. Redrejo Rodríguez:
> - There was a ¿funny? result: the Xeon machine raised its CPU use to
> 100% when Openoffice started, with the Quad Core  the CPU didn't
> raise more than 20%. Because of it, when using the Xeon server some
> of the clients where stalled for several seconds when starting X.
> Anyway, the starting time was about 5" less when using the Xeon for
> the clients that didn't stall.

Please allow me to throw in two related "issues"

1. On a (backports polluted) LTSP (originally based on Sarge), today
   I had a 100% CPU load (quadcore!) preventing additional users from
   login (KDE login hang). Reason: famd.
   Restarting the fam daemon solved the problem.
   (I will upgrade that machine soon, anyway. For now I did a downgrade
    on fam. )
2. Most heavy load is caused by Java and Flash applets (14 kids gaming
   or watching youtube videos). In such moments, additional terminals
   boot in slow motion (one line per second). I realised that upstream
   traffic was permanent 100 MB/s which is 100%. Here, the bandwith gets
   to its limit apparently.