Re: access samba from another linux

On Saturday 06 December 2008 04:15 nigel barker wrote:
> Dear All,

Hi Nigel,

> I have been observing some irregular samba behaviour that I hope you
> can advise me on.

I will try.

> When Tjener is accessed from Windows, it seems everything works as
> expected. However, from non-debianedu linux it isn't.
> I have two laptops running plain lenny. One can access tjener well
> via network browsing, but the other refuses to open documents for
> editing. Open office just pretends to be opening and then disappears.
> I have two laptops running ubuntu 8.04. Again the situation above -
> one works one doesn't.

So it would be nice to have the following informations:

From the server the file /etc/samba/smb.conf
Are the laptops registered as machines in lwat?
With which username do you authentify for accessing the server?
Is that the same username you are logged in on the laptop?
Is that a username registered with lwat on the server?
In which groups is that username?

> But even worse is that access permissions are
> not respected from ubuntu. A user can enter another persons home and
> delete files.

Not respected from ubuntu?
So please tell us, where can you delete files in other persons homes?
On the server accessing the files from a laptop or on the dell mini
itself?

Can you give a step by step scenario describing the deletion of files in
an other persons home directory?

> Since I was about to recommend the dell mini with ubuntu* to parents
> wanting to buy their kids a computer for xmas, this is suddenly
> important to me!

You let the parents buy computers/laptops for use in school?
Cool Idea! :-)

> My tjener is etch and up to date.

Fine. So tell us please the samba version.

> * this is the only mini laptop available with linux in japan - all
> others are japanese windows only.
>
> excuse the long message

No problem for me.

Greetings, Jürgen Leibner