Re: Diskless Workstation - impossible to install

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:22:26AM +0200, Oded Naveh wrote:
> Vagrant Cascadian  Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:15 PM
> > something else must be broken with your DHCP setup, then.
> > there isn't any magic to network booting a thin client vs. a
> > diskless workstation.
> > how would it work for one but not the other?
> 	Thanks for pointing that out, I believed it had something to do with
> the way ltsp handles thin-clients and do some forwarding on their behalf.
> Turns out you were absolutely right, the root-path option in my dhcpd.conf
> was:
>      option root-path "10.0.2.2:/opt/ltsp/i386";
> Which apparently didn't make sense to nfsmount, setting this to:
>      option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
> Made it redundant at "/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default".
>
> I should mention that this line was introduced to
> "/etc/dhcp3/dhcpd-stateless-debian-edu.conf" by a script "ltsp-make-client"
> and the file dhcpd.conf is merely  a symlink to
> "dhcpd-stateless-debian-edu.conf"

ah, yes. the versions of initramfs-tools in lenny supports putting the
server's ip in root-path, but the version in etch didn't (you need to
use next-server).

> That brought up the question whether it would be beneficial to upgrade to
> Lenny or to Sid?
> As this is not a 'production' server and is only for studying the system
> (may be help with development later).

lenny's ltsp is in good shape, so i would definitely recommend giving it
a try if it's not for production. if you're really adventurous, try the
ltsp/ltspfs/ldm packages from experimental :)

there are also some backports of ltsp, ldm and ltspfs packages for etch
from the pkg-ltsp group:

  http://wiki.debian.org/LTSP/Howto/Etch-With-Backports

live well,
  vagrant