Re: please unblock debian-edu-install (udeb not used by debians d-i)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:41:07PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:

> On Thursday 17 July 2008 21:44, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > Unblocked. (I understand you're looking forward to getting it in, but
> > please always give us a couple days at least.)

> Should I ask on the day I upload then? The freeze "due to an udeb" is
> completly not sensible, IMHO.

Well, you're wrong.  The freeze is required because udebs have to be copied
by hand, which means that the source package has to propagate at a time when
someone with the access to do that copy is available and is aware of the
need to copy the udeb.  Otherwise there's nothing to stop package
maintainers from uploading a new version to unstable that causes the old
udebs to be garbage-collected, resulting in an inconsistent archive.  And
this has happened before.

> It just wastes 3 groups time.

A solution to provide automatic migration of udebs would be most welcome
(and various folks have been working on this, though I don't know the
current status).  Until such a solution is available, time has to be wasted
in order to keep the archive in a consistent state.