Re: Disable ~/.xsession-errors by default?

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:50:26 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> [Herman Robak]
>> Could ulimit and UL_SETFSIZE be used as a workaround?
>
> Not as far as I know.
>
>> Since .xsession-errors is written to by the X server (I guess), this
>> might make the X server unhappy, or even crash, once the set limit
>> is reached.
>
> .xsession-errors is not written by the X server.  It writes to
> /var/log/kdm.log.  .xsession-errors is used by all the X clients.

 How is that negotiated between clients that run concurrently?
(I digress, I know, but this made me curious :-)

>> And that would repeat itself pretty quick unless something else
>> wipes .xsession-errors out.  A size test on .xsession-errors during
>> login, perhaps?
>
> Trunkation if it is to large at login might help in some settings, but
> not with programs producing a lot of such messages during one login.

 I retract the ulimit suggestion, as that would affect _all_ files
written by the "limited" program.  Saving large images with Gimp
should not fail disgracefully unless the disk really is full.

 Back to the drawing board...

 .xsession-errors should not be a regular file, it seems.
How does one make a ring buffer that looks like a file?

--
Herman Robak