Re: custom install

Am Donnerstag, 29. Mai 2008 05:38:17 schrieb nigel barker:
> Dear List,
>
> I have a few amateur questions.
>
> 1. Is it possible (I mean easy) to install plain debian, then convert to
> debian edu? How?

Dear Nigel,

there is a howto on how to bind *buntu-stations to tjener. Same procedure is
possible for Debian clients....
> 3. (How) can a workstation user access the local harddrive, eg. for
> storing photos and videos that I don't want on tjener?

Same as USB-Stick: Make a data partition (say /dev/hda6) and add it to fstab
(also possible during installation). Mount it to a sensible mount point
(like /data or /localdrive or /media/localdisk).

If you use a FAT file system (don't) there won't be any user specific rights.
With a ext3 fs, you could make it basically world rw-able, but any user was
able to create directories that are opaque to others.

> thanks
>
> nigel

Does this help?
Regards