Project idea for developer - check and clean up the default menu

The KDE and Debian menu in Debian Edu is confusing.  It also contain
to many entries, according to feedback from schools.  To reduce the
confusion, and perhaps also the problem with too many entries, I have
a project proposal for some technically skilled person.

 (1) Produce a textual representation of the current menu structure,
     both for the Debian menu (/usr/share/menu/( and the KDE menu
     (/usr/share/applnk/).

 (2) Analyze the structure, and make sure all Debian menu entries are
     using one of the sections listed in <URL:
     http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/ch3.html#s3.5>.
     See if some of them should be moved to a different and more
     appropriate section.

 (3) See if any of the KDE menu entries should be moved.

 (4) Report bugs to BTS requesting a change in the Debian or KDE menu
     location.

I assume something similar should be done for the Gnome menu
structure, but I do not know anything about it.  Make sure to usertag
the bugs so that they show up on
<URL:http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?usertag=debian-edu@lists.debian.org>.

Any takers?  I suspect the first step can be done by extracting menu
entries from all the packages on the Lenny CD or DVD, and then process
these files to produce a summary of the menu.  It is, as they say,
just a small matter of programming. :)

Happy hacking,