Re: Skolelinux / Debian Edu application of the week?

I like this idea, but it reminds me that the skolelinux website is not very vibrant (I know, don't complain if you aren't prepared to help).

I was wondering if we should have a forum and/or wiki and/or blogs (or planet?), where people could not only write about their favourite apps, but also how they use debian edu, solve problems, teach, etc. More of a discussion and article type thing, rather than the documentation wiki.

These are just ideas. Of course I don't know what I'm talking about, being far away from heartland of skolelinux I don't have a good feeling for what type of schools and teachers use it. And I realise that languages are a problem. Also it would look bad if no-one used it.

I wrote a deb-a-day on view your mind a while ago, but it was rejected (!) and I haven't had time to improve it. Do you want it?

I am willing to translate things from Spanish to English, if that would help at all.

cheers

nigel

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
One idea to make more people aware of the large amount of user space
applications available in Skolelinux / Debian Edu, is to publish a
news letter with "Application of the week", with information about a
new application including screen shots and simple usage information.
It could be something like "Debian Package of the Day", but with focus
on applications for schools.

See <URL:http://debaday.debian.net/> for Debian Package of the Day.
Some candidates would be

 - KOrganizer
 - FireFox / Icewasel
 - OpenOffice.org
 - Stopmotion
 - Rosegarden
 - GCompris
 - gtablix
 - Tuxpaint
 - KTuberling
 - KSnapshot
 - KMail
 - KTouch
 - Kalzium
 - Stellarium

It is probably a good idea to use the ranking on
<URL:http://popcon.skolelinux.org/> to see what kind of applications
have many users.

I would very much like to see such newsletter translated to our most
used languages (Norwegian, German, Spanish, French?) to make sure the
teachers can gain access to the information without having to use
English.

Any volunteers to write this?  It should be published on the web and
probably also sent to journalists and others interested that should
learn about the nice user applications included in Skolelinux / Debian
Edu.  Perhaps we should use
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu-announce/> for this?

I suspect the wiki might be a good location to publish the content.
The content probably also could be merged into the Linux signpost
(Spisekartet), ref
<URL:https://init.linpro.no/pipermail/skolelinux.no/linuxiskolen/2008-January/017862.html>.

Happy hacking,