Re: Apt repository interoperability

On 25/04/08 18:44, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Actually, I see it as social problem in general not having a clue about
> something in some situations...and social problems are not solvable with
> technical implementations
As this goes, it should not come as a surprise that this is related to
education.

As developers we have a responsibility to comment when yet another blog,
email or im makes a statement that advocates unsafe practices, such as
installing .deb files from any old source, or installing .tgz packages
and being told to answer "yes" when the question is asked: "Do you want
to overwrite xyz existing file?"

The biggest challenge is that both in Ubuntu and Debian the package
system is there to make it possible for a system to be maintainable, but
no such concept exists in the Windows world, thus users who come from
that environment think that they are just installing another application
using an installer. There is no concept of dependencies or file ownership.

You can only guide a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..