Re: New XOLiveCD 080321

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 03:52:33PM +0100, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:

>El jue, 27-03-2008 a las 21:43 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard escribió:

>> It is a LiveCD.  I don't think a LiveCD integrates well with LTSP.
>>

>Sure, I was thinking of doing a image to be loaded by nbd in an ltsp
>environment.

Oh, ok.  I never tried such tricks...

>> The GUI part of the XO system is Sugar.
>>
>> Core Sugar packages is in Debian Sid but broken due to bug#472103.
>
>Shit, that's the kind of bug a maintainer never wants to have: depends
>on other packages but your package "should" avoid it and you can not do
>it without digging a lot in upstream code :-(

Took me some time to interpret your sentence above, but indicates that
you actually understood it:  Indeed it is ugly!

>> Unofficial working packages is available through APT using one of the
>> following (for amd64 and i386):
>>
>>    deb http://debian.jones.dk sid sugar
>>    deb http://debian.jones.dk lenny sugar
>>
>> I have not tested Sugar with LTSP but it works fine with the alternative
>> (and now abandoned) lessdisks.
>>
>> With "core" I mean that the infrastructure to navigate between "Home",
>> "Friends" and "Neighbourhood" is there, but very few activities is
>> packaged yet.
>>
>> If you want to try out more avtivities, backports/sideports of an
>> earlier packaging effort for Ubuntu made by Jani Monoses is available
>> here:
>>
>>    deb http://debian.jones.dk sid sugar-old
>>    deb http://debian.jones.dk lenny sugar-old
>>
>> Beware that if you mix sugar and sugar-old (you can just list them both
>> on a single APT line), some of the old packages will override the newer
>> ones due to different versioning of those packages.
>>

>I prefer to avoid this, I don't have any ubuntu installation and I don't
>trust in their Debian compatibility.

All of the above is packaged against Debian, not Ubuntu.

The relation to Ubuntu is that sugar-old was originally packaged for
(some release - I don't keep track of their codenames - of) Ubuntu, but
as served above it was rebuilt in clean Debian chroots (using pbuilder).

>> Help packaging Sugar activities is much wanted.  If interested then
>> please subscribe and raise your voice over at the mailinglist
>> debian-olpc-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org [1]. :-)
>>

>I'd love helping you in this task, but first I have to end about one
>hundred of pending tasks... Anyway I'm subscribing to the mailing list
>to be in "listener mode" by now. If you are ever in an urgent and total
>need, shout and I'll park some of my tasks for a while ;-)

Thanks for the offer.  I am aware that you are quite busy - this last
comment was aimed more generally at this list. :-)

...and apropos: Please don't cc me privately - I am subscribed to the
list. :-)

Looking forward to meet you in person next weekend!

Regards,

 - Jonas

- --
IT-guide dr. Jones    <dr@jones.dk>   http://dr.jones.dk/    +45 40843136