Re: Is FreeNX server an issue for Debian-Edu?

[Andreas Tille]
> which points to a really Debian package of FreeNX.  Could somebody
> clarify whether there is some interest in FreeNX for Debian Edu/SkoleLinux
> and if yes, are there any recent packages and if also yes to this why
> are these not moved to official Debian.

There is interest, and I have waited for the NX team to get the
packages into Debian.  I believe they ran into a few problems with
code duplications, NX containing copies of X.org and openssh.  It
turned out to be old copies with security isses, and this has not been
to easy to solve.  See <URL:http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-nx/>
for that teams work.

There is a few nx packages currently waiting in NEW now, btw.

> I always wonder why so many people make such a big fuzz about FreeNX
> but the Debian packaging is in such a bad state.

The fuzz is apparently about the bandwidth usage, claimed to be a lot
better than vnc, for example.  Have not seen any benchmarks.

Happy hacking,