Re: ldapifying services

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
Hi, Some of you are already aware of the intention of migrating config
of some of the main services in the main server to LDAP. A wiki page [1]
illustrate the progress.
Currently, in Extremadura we have set up a etch ldap server, and have a
lenny server with dhcp and dns working against the ldap server (nowadays
slapd is mostly broken in lenny[2], that's why we still keep the ldap
server in etch). The system is working perfectly, without any known
problem.
For this process to continue, some steps have to be done, and that's the
main reason for this email:
- modify debian-edu-config to work with lenny slapd, after current sid
packages with the fixed bugs enter in testing
- decide if the relation between dns & dhcp will continue as today, or
changing it makes sense (I'm refering to the groups in the bind config
that determine ips and names of some machines in the network)
I am thinking, that it's not much point (other then backwards compatibility) in order to keep the current system of pre generated names. Instead i think that when you add a machine in lwat, dhcp+ dns forward and reverse is generated on the fly. This would remove non exsisting names, and allow easier local naming schemes. There should be a way to keep a bit of order in the numbering scheme, while still keeping it flexible enough. Perhaps a locally configureable template can instruct the admintool to suggest names, eg ltspserver00 if the machine is in the thin-client-server groups. Or room123machineXYZ if the machine is in the Room123 groups. But this would be more a admintool feature then a ldap/dhcp/dns feature.

Or we could pregenerate dns, like we do today, if one did non specify debian-edu-expert in order to preserve backwards compatibility. But personaly i think we should try to be a bit more flexible in the dns dhcp world. And maintaining both forward and backward compatibility is hard.
- decide a definitive nomenclature for the ldap branches (maybe "cn=DHCP
Config,.." is not a perfect name.
Are there standards for this we could look at ? Or is it just up to ourselfs to find something saneish ?
- make the installer being able to change the ldap base dn
agreed
- work on lwat to be able to work with dhcp & dns configs when
adding/deleting/modifying machines

a critical issue for the whole concept.

Ronny Aasen