Re: Doubts and question about the merging of LinEx in Debian Edu

On Wednesday 16 January 2008, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> And the final problem is the desktop: Our students and teachers have
> been trained and using GNOME for the last 5 years, so we can not discuss
> if GNOME is better or worse than KDE: It just something that can not be
> changed and both desktops have to live together.

The above is quite understandable from a technical support standpoint, but
from a pedagogical perspective regarding computer-literacy this is IMHO
just plain wrong and counterproductive:

Both KDE, and Gnome (and any other current desktop) is makes up a WIMP
interface. Given similar configuration (regarding menu structure and the
like) a computer literate end-user should have no real dificulty switching
between one and the other for everyday use.

Yet practically speaking a lot of people currently do have problems. Mostly
because they only have experience with one desktop and thus have no
experiental basis to differentiatie between the semantically important
interface elements and the purely visual or spatial differences.

By giving children (and teachers :) experience with multiple desktops
they'll quite naturally start to extrapolate which are the important
elements and patterns Thus yielding a more computer-literate person.

> Happily, freedesktop.org initiative has made thing easier in this field,
> but there still some configurations very kde-related in a Debian Edu
> installation.

Ideally we would make it easy for a school to give their students experience
with multiple desktops (and themes and widget styles) by providing similar
setups for multiple desktops.

The hard part about that is deciding on how a desktop should be set up in
the first place.
Once you have a clear idea of "we want it this way, because of this reason"
implementing that vision in a particular desktop is a relatively minor
effort.

The amount of desktop customization that debian-edu-config does is minimal
ATM, while my impression is that Linex has a put a fair amount of work in
that.
=> I think documenting the linex vision, and consequently implementing it
for both KDE and Gnome (and maybe XFCE) is the way to go. That'll give us
one starting point from which to refine things.

> After seing things like:

First doing an svn export before grepping, and excluding README, changelog,
and translations cuts the below numbers seriously, though that still yields
a substantial amount of work:

> ../src/debian-edu-install#  grep -r skole * |wc -l
> 282

grep -r --exclude=README* --exclude=changelog --exclude-dir=debian/po skole
* | wc -l

60

> ../src/debian-edu-install# grep -r "10\.0\." * |wc -l
> 3

same

> ../src/debian-edu-install# grep -r "tjener" * |wc -l
> 67

24

> ../debian-edu-config# grep -r "10\.0\." * |wc -l
> 100

49

> ../src/debian-edu-config# grep -r "tjener" * |wc -l
> 298

141

> ../src/debian-edu-config# grep -r skole * |wc -l
> 628

251

> Option c) seems the more elegant and flexible solution, from a technical
> point of view and thinking of people around the world who will have
> different names for the computers and different network ranges, but it's
> also the hardest one. If this option is chosen a lot of work need to be
> done.

I think c) is definately the way to go
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)