Re: How to pronounce tjener?

On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 18:08 +0900, nigel barker wrote:
> Someone asked me this question, and I didn't know the answer.
> Swedish kids in my school were no help!

 Obviously not, as Swedes would pronounce it differently. ;-)

The common pronounciation around Oslo, in the most populous
region of Norway, is [tye:ner]

I don't know how to write _real_ phonetic spelling glyphs
in an e-mail, so I will elaborate:

The 'y' is a consonant here; "ye" is one long syllable.
The second 'e' is a short "uh" sound, with less emphasis.

The intonation is the characteristic double-emphasis
that you (as far as I know) only find in Norwegian and
Swedish: The second syllable has almost as much stress
as the first.

--
 Herman Robak