Re: old documentation on wiki.debian.org

Fredag 9. november 2007, skrev Valerio Pachera:
> 1-wich is the official documentations container? Is it
> "wiki.skolelinux.no/" or "wiki.debian.org/". I mean documentation for
> debian-edu users.

There are several reasons for having different places to store
documentation. The most important is that different kinds of
contributors has different needs. I'll give an overview about the
presentation web[1], the system admin documentation[2] and developer
documentation[3]. Of course, some of the naming are not logical. This
is mostly for historical or technical reasons.

Presentation web: If you want a short introduction to Skolelinux, to
download, or some help getting started, the presentation web[1] is the
place to start. The presentation web does exactly what it's expected,
says system maintainers and teachers.

1. A presentation web for marketing purposes is here:
http://www.skolelinux.org/

System admin documentation: System admins really need good
documentation[2] when setting up and maintaining small or huge
centralised Skolelinux installations. The reason for making a localised
wiki, was that we need localised system admin documentation. Most
people in the world don't speak English. They prefer their native
language. This also counts for different local Skolelinux developer
groups, which uses wiki.skolelinux.de for German contributors,
wiki.skolelinux.fr for French, and wiki.skolelinux.no for Norwegians
and so one.

2. The English documentation for Debian Edu/Skolelinux administrators
are put here:
http://wiki.skolelinux.no/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch

Developer documentation[3]. Last we needed a more flexible techbase for
Debian Edu/Skolelinux. For years we published documentation in old
school html pages, doing html markups our selves. When we changed to a
wiki, the documentation effort really increased and improved. A lot of
persons not fluent in html markup were able to contribute. I'll say
that having developer documentations, meeting summits in a wiki is one
of the most successfull things we have done lately.

3. Developer documentations, meeting summaries and guides are collected
here:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/

A note when it comes to the English system admin documentation[2] at
wiki.skolelinux.no. As Holger points out, we got more features in a
more updated MoinMoin wiki engine usable, e.g converting wiki-pages to
pdf and so one. We need to distribute Skolelinux system documentation
on different medias because teachers don't always have Internet
connection when installing Skolelilnux. Thats why we don't uses the
wiki.debian.org for system admin and user documentation.

> 2-is it possible to edita www.skolelinux.org/en ? If yes, how? It's
> not a wiki and seems not even a cms. I'm capable to edit xhtml but I
> don't know if is what you whant.

Yes it is. The presentation web is the only place where a limited team
gives partially access. This breaks the principle on how Skolelinux is
governed, but it seems to work. The presentation web is handled by
Lars Risan < lars risan AT tik uio no and > and
Anders Kringstad Hanssen < akai AT skolelinux no >. They'll give you the
necessary access. Please contact Lars and Anders!

Best regards

Knut Yrvin