embarassing printing question

I know this isn't good, but I just can't make printing work on any SL3 server or workstation. The printer installs (in kdeprint), and then the test print fails. Setting logging to debug gives "access denied to /dev/lp0" or an equivalent message for usb printers. Is there something different I have to do to install printers?

Also, localhost:631(or static24, etc) fails with access denied if I try to use the web interface for installing. The error message is coming from Tjener, even when I am using a browser on the local machine.

My tjener is still SL2.

My clumsy solution is that I have all these old computers installed with SL2 running headless next to the printers. Really those computers should be giving me extra thin clients and not wasting energy 24h a day. We have a printer in every classroom.

Sorry for the weak and helpless question. Don't hurt me!

nigel