Re: summary from the irc meeting 2007-08-23

Hi

Let me try to make it a bit clearer and please note that I am up for having
everything into debian, I just do not think that it will work (out of
experience).

> > Not a big problem for me, as I tend to do my own image (and repository)
> > if needed :)
>
> So this would probably be the answer, but I fail to see a
> contradiction to a general maintainance of packages inside
> Debian.
Please read the ArchivePolicy[0] to see how our repository works.
There is the case, where we want to test a package in a -test repository and
maybe never pushing it into debian, if it does not fulfill its needs.
We also want to have -test and more stable daily build images to test with. In
the case for debian, we could of course use unstable and testing, but then we
want to decide, when a package is ready for testing migration, which is
totally independent from debian's migration way (I doubt that we get the
rights to influence our packages and their testing migration).
We always want to provide a lenny (or the equivalent) environment, not an
unstable environment. We want to be able to change package versions for
stable (e.g. our r1 will probably include a new upstream version of lwat for
example).
We want our people to be able to upload and we need a mirror push soonish and
need it on administrator to be able to build the new images asap. Sometimes
backports might be needed. Sometimes we need to do some NMUs for packages to
get some fixes in sooner (at the beginning of the relase cycle this often
includes the d-i or some NMUs of packages, which did not yet reach testing).
I am pretty sure that I forgot a lot of usecases, so this list is not
complete.

Cheers
Steffen

[0]: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/ArchivePolicy