Re: japanese

[Nigel Barker]
> I used japanese as install language on tjener combi server. Everything
> proceeds in Japanese. Upon first reboot, everything is back to English,
> and there's no language choice on kdm. So root logs into English, and
> creates a user. (Root has no SCIM applet.)
>
> On a thin client, that user can choose Japanese from the login prompt,
> but still gets an English desktop/menu. However, the japanese SCIM
> applet is loaded and works.

Thank you for the test report.  Good to hear that the input system
work.  As for translations, the reason it is not showing up is simply
that it is not installed by default.  Try installing the kde-i18n-ja,
openoffice.org-help-ja, openoffice.org-l10n-ja and iceweasel-l10n-ja
pakcages and see if that helps.

We should consider adding japanese translations to the default
installation, or figure out a way to install language specific
packages based on the selected installation langauge.  The latter is
possible using the tasksel enhance mechanism, but will need some
rewriting of our tasks.

As for the issue with root missing the scim applet, I have no idea
why.  I guess it might be related to the KDE kiosk setup, but do not
really know.

Happy hacking,