Re: openSUSE to release "add-on" distro image dubbed 'SLEDucator'

El mar, 26-06-2007 a las 17:08 +0200, Knut Yrvin escribió:
> On Tuesday 26. June 2007 16:04, Anders Kringstad Hanssen wrote:
> > Should we perhaps try to integrate or at least communicate with them so
> > that we do not get another flawed process like previous launches of such
> > 'Education' distros?
>
> We actually tried to get in contact with SuSE when they released their
> previous attemt to make a "school" distribution back in 2003-2004. SuSE sendt
> out a press statement telling about a school server/desktop initiativ. Just
> after 4-6 month SuSE gave an other statement, discontinuing their "school"
> effort. It was nothing other than press statements out there.
>
> Back then Skolelinux was promoted well in Germany. SuSE came with a press
> statement. They made some fuss, and we did not see or here anything more.
> From a marketing point of view they gave the following message. Stick with us
> because we will bet on schools too. Maybe some heads of schools and
> municipalities stopped considering Skolelinux, and forgot the whole thing
> after 4-6 months.
>
> In my mind this is just a tacktic for helping Microsoft Windows, but i don't
> know if SuSE saw that back then.
>
> Now the situation is different. A relatively active bunch of free software
> developers makes OpenSuSE. OpenSuSE govern it self more independently from
> Novell SuSE that is the commercial effort.
>
> > Does anyone know the people involved with this openSUSE project?
>
> I've met several Open SuSE people at different conferences. I've actively
> asked them if they would at all consider using LTSP and join the porting and
> testing effort, also looking at educational applications.
>
> According to Jim Mcquillans talk at FISL 8.0 in Brazil this spring, Ubuntu
> started rewriting LTSP. Debian catched up pretty fast and K12LTSP includes it
> too. Thats the three leading distroes working on, and including LTSP, Jim
> said, also inviting SuSE developers to that effort. A lots of good things
> have happend with LTSP lately.
>
> Open SuSE developers I met at LinuxTag 2007 in May did not talked about LTSP
> at all. It seems that the add on CD just contains additional softwere
> packages, cool look and feel, and maybe some network services "out of the
> box"?
>
> In my mind we should ask Open SuSE developers if their interested in sharing
> ideas and experience with us. I can't see that that should have a downside
> (even if I don't agree with the Novell-Microsoft patent deal that's basicly
> breaks Norwegian and European patent legislation, and has no meaning at all).
>
> Me myself would not do much more in this case, other than ask about their LTSP
> effort if I get the chance. We have a whole lot of things going on with
> Extremadura, and I think thats more important to spend time on. But thats how
> I prioritise :)

In fact, the situation could be quite different. The government of the
region of Catalonia (one of the richest regions in Spain) has chosen
Novell as their distro to be used at school. It was through a public
tender and there were no big companies offering Debian support, so
Novell won the bid.  It happened about 1 year ago, and I have a copy of
their Novell based distribution on a tray, but they are using a "use it
if you want" approach in schools, and the news we have is that the use
of linux at their schools is very rare. In fact, that government
continues signing agreements with Microsoft, so up to now, the impact of
using Novell in schools is very low. But they have a lot of money and
people and, if some day they do it seriously, we could speak in a medium
term of about 500.000 pcs running Novell. And that amount has to be
taken into account.
So, today Novell in education is only vaporware, but they have a chance
to become an important actor.
Regards.
José L.