Re: Please test multi-arch DVD

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> Last night, thanks to a patch from Daniel Hess, I activated a new kind
> of DVD build for Debian Edu/Etch.  It is a i386+amd64+powerpc
> multiarch DVD.  I do not yet know if it boot or installs.

I can now confirm that it installs on i386.  I am curious about the
results for amd64 and powerpc.

This is still true:

> The image is available on ftp, http and rsync as the others.
>
>   ftp://ftp.skolelinux.org/cd-etch-test-multi-dvd/debian-edu-amd64-i386-powerpc-DVD-1.iso
>   http://ftp.skolelinux.org/cd-etch-test-multi-dvd/debian-edu-amd64-i386-powerpc-DVD-1.iso
>   rsync ftp.skolelinux.org::cd-etch-test-multi-dvd/debian-edu-amd64-i386-powerpc-DVD-1.iso .

If we want to include more than i386 in the final release, I believe
we for logistic reasons should do it using a multiarch DVD, to avoid
having to track and distribute several DVD images.  This mean that if
this multiarch DVD work for amd64 and powerpc, it might end up being
the official Debian Edu/Etch DVD.

> I am interested to know if it boot on i386, amd64 and powerpc.
> There might be a slight problem with the amd64 build, for those that
> want a 32-bit LTSP chroot.  The default will install a 64-bit
> chroot.  Someone need to figure out how we best should solve it.

One solution seem to be that one can specify 'install' on the boot
prompt to get the i386 installer, and 'amd64-install' to get the amd64
installer.  I am not sure if this is enough to solve the problem, and
I do not have an amd64 machine available to test it.  JFYI.

Happy hacking,