Re: mEDUXa's usability ideas and customizations for kid's desktop

Hi all,

El Sábado, 26 de Mayo de 2007 17:02, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez escribió:
> El sáb, 26-05-2007 a las 14:07 +0000, Ejercicios Resueltos (Grupo CPD)
>
> escribió:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > we have included in HeXpérides' wiki
> >
> > http://www.hexperides.org/hexperides/index.php/Perfil_primaria
> >
> > some of the ideas behind the customization on mEDUXa's desktop for kids
> > and the paths of the config files (kiosk mode files).We are working on
> > including in Launchpad the code.
> >
> > It is in spanish but I'll try to translate it before aKademy 2007
>
> It's a very interesting document, with some good ideas to study. A pity
> that many of them are very KDE dependant.
>
> Anyway, there are a couple of ideas I disagree: You say you have removed
> the mouse wheel use, and have kept the double click (increasing time
> between clicks). I think both ideas are a mistake: the wheel is really
> easy to use for very young kids (speaking from 3 years old and on). And
> double-click is a hell for many of them (even changing the required time
> between clicks), and for teachers too, specially if they are people who
> don't use to use computers.
We have the problem that most of the mouses we have in primary schools are 2
button or three button ones. The idea purchasing mouses with wheels is nice
for kids. I agree with you that can be good for kids.
> I think that for primary schools
> double-click should always be totally removed. The web is a good example
> of how you don't need it and most people get used to it very easily and
> quickly.
We disccussed this a lot when we were defining the mouse usability. We finally
decided to use a double click for keeping some agreement between windows and
linux usability. Anyway it is something ir can be changed in some schools or
classes to see the practical differences.

> Regards.
> José L.
Thanks José for your ideas

Bye
--
Agustín Benito Bethencourt
Director de Ejercicios Resueltos SLU (Grupo CPD)