Re: Which debian packages should be installed on a debian edu laptop?

[José L. Redrejo Rodríguez]
> cpufrequtils doesn't manage the cpu speed, it includes the tools to
> do it, but it doesn't do it. I guess you are refering to cpufreqd.

Actually, cpufrequtils do manage the CPU speed (or to be exact, it
tell the kernel to do it).  If you edit /etc/default/cpufrequtils, and
set ENABLE="true", it will turn on ondemand cpu frequency scaling if
the required kernel modules are loaded.

> Not, I don't know of such package, but, loading by default
> speedstep-centrino doesn't hurt in an AMD laptop (well, it just says
> that's device doesn't exist). Doing it you cover most existing
> laptops.

How is this handled in Ubuntu?

I've had ideas to implement support for CPU detection into discover
v2, but it isn't written yet.  It would allow us to detect it and load
the correct kernel module.

> Also, a script that in the first start (after installation) of the
> system reads /proc/cpuinfo or just modprobe different modules
> finding out which one does not answer a error could easily be made.

Perhaps.  We will only know when someone succeeded if it was easy to
make or not. :)

Friendly,