Re: Which debian packages should be installed on a debian edu laptop?

El jue, 10-05-2007 a las 18:57 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen escribió:
> [José L. Redrejo Rodríguez]
> > cpufrequtils doesn't manage the cpu speed, it includes the tools to
> > do it, but it doesn't do it. I guess you are refering to cpufreqd.
>
> Actually, cpufrequtils do manage the CPU speed (or to be exact, it
> tell the kernel to do it).  If you edit /etc/default/cpufrequtils, and
> set ENABLE="true", it will turn on ondemand cpu frequency scaling if
> the required kernel modules are loaded.

Then I can't answer you because I've never heard that feature works,
maybe that's why there are three diferent packages to do it. I only can
speak of comparing cpufreqd, cpudyn and powernowd.

> > Not, I don't know of such package, but, loading by default
> > speedstep-centrino doesn't hurt in an AMD laptop (well, it just says
> > that's device doesn't exist). Doing it you cover most existing
> > laptops.
>
> How is this handled in Ubuntu?

I've never used Ubuntu, and haven't heard or read they manage it either.
Even more, you can find a bunch of tutorials explaining how to do it in
Ubuntu by hand (p. ex. http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/CPUFreq ), so I
suppose they haven't done any automatic recognition either.

> I've had ideas to implement support for CPU detection into discover
> v2, but it isn't written yet.  It would allow us to detect it and load
> the correct kernel module.

Come on, do it ;-)

> > Also, a script that in the first start (after installation) of the
> > system reads /proc/cpuinfo or just modprobe different modules
> > finding out which one does not answer a error could easily be made.
>
> Perhaps.  We will only know when someone succeeded if it was easy to
> make or not. :)

Sure, anyway that script is a trivial bash work. The problem is testing
it in many diferent laptops, with diferent cpus.

Regards.
José L.