Re: Which debian packages should be installed on a debian edu laptop?

[José L. Redrejo Rodríguez]
> I would also install powernowd or cpudyn (I prefer powernowd). It
> saves a lot of battery power, giving more time when unplugged .

Why do you prefer such daemon instead of leaving that to the kernel to
handle?  I notice the debian laptop task install cpufrequtils, and it
will feed values into /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/* to enable
power saving mode when there is little to do.

> The problem with it is that you have to load different modules
> depending on your cpu to make it useful. cpufreq-userspace should
> always be loaded (for powernowd) and another module depending on the
> cpu: speedstep-centrino for most laptops without an amd core (a look
> to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq would
> give hints). Nowadays, more than 90% of the laptops I see work with
> speedstep-centrino

This problem is still present.  Are there any packages able to detect
and install the correct cpufreq kernel module present in Etch or
available from somewhere else?

Friendly,