Re: Time to make the new stable release of Debian Edu?

Hi,

On Wednesday 09 May 2007 11:38, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Given that we can polish the next release of Debian Edu forever, and
> that the old sarge based release is showing its age, I believe we
> should finish up a new stable release soon, with the stuff that is
> already working, and prepare for an updated version within three
> months.

I agree.

> I suggest we make a new test04 test release in a few days, update the
> documentation to match it the next few days, and then release test04
> (possibly including more bug fixes discovered and implemented while
> the documentation was written) as the next stable release of debian
> edu in a month.

On http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Etch there is a link, called "bugs
which we want to fix for etch, are confirmed and not documentation related"
which shows all bugs with Priority 1,2 and 3 (excluding the unconfirmed ones
and the documentation related ones):

http://bugs.skolelinux.no/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=notregexp&short_desc=.*%28document%7Cconfirm%29.*&product=Skolelinux&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&priority=P1&priority=P2&priority=P3&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&changedin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&newqueryname=&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

I suggest we release (the stable version, not test4) not earlier as this link
doesnt show any bugs with Prio 1 and 2. Currently thats 4 bugs left (the rest
has Prio 3=we want to fix them, but we might not manage.)

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Etch also shows some more Bugs which
are not in bugzilla, I'll start *now* to move them into bugzilla.

I think it's important that we use comprehensible criterias when we release.
For me this means: no bugs left in bugzilla which are a.) confirmed, b.) not
documentation related (i'm willing to argue on that, documentation is
important) and c.) have Prio 1 or 2.

Of course, this has the "danger" of moving the discussion whether we fix this
or that bug into a "bugzilla-war", but a.) I dont think we'll have
bugzila-wars, we are reasonable people working on a common goal and b.) this
is where such a _discussion_ (not war) belongs :)

Also, everybody how has a "pet-bug" is able to see, that "we don't care" and
has the opportunity to fix those bugs themselves.

regards,
	Holger