Re: presentation: we want you for debian-edu/skolelinux

Søndag 14 januar 2007 00:33, skrev Holger Levsen:
> Slides are at http://layer-acht.org/debian-edu_LCA2007.pdf - if you have
> some time, please give me some feedback

Excellent slides Holger. I got some additional info:

Slide 5 (A mix of facts, ....)

* Including translators and documentators, then 150 are working voluntarely.

There are a lot of translators and people work on documentation in
debian-edu. They are not direct Debian developers, but there are at least
120 people working with translations and documentations.

This is based on the last count of commiters in our online repository
(subversion). It was 150 committers totally, where 30 of them are
debian-edu developers as in coding, bugfixing, configuration and
development.

* Most likely there are > 450 schools using Skolelinux

According to new numbers from Skolelinux Drift, there are between 250-300
schools just in Norway using Skolelinux. The average number of students in
primary schools are some less that 200. Numbers of Skolelinux users in
Norway then are 40.000-50.000.

There are also installation we know of in African countries with >60
schools, as a part of faren aid. This is installations done with help from
FAIR, Fair Allocation of Infotech Resources:

http://www.fairinternational.org/

Kurt Gramlich (Skolelinux Germany) says it's > 70 schools in Germany. The
numbers are growing in Franch and other European countries too. So I would
say that > 450 schools are more likely when estemating installed base.

* Cooperation aggreement with "everyone"

We have cooperation agreements with Edubuntu, LinEx (Extremadura Spain),
KDE-edu, PSL-Brasil, mDUXa and the UN/MIT project One Laptop per Child. We
have been to joint developer gatherings to exchange experiences, code and
good solutions. Everyone work together to make free software even better
for education all over the world.

In Norway ministers visit Holmlia skole wich is a school in Norway using
Skolelinux. The ministeres says that using free software has been
overwhelmingly positive with unike stability, and effortless use of
computers that would be outdated if running proprietary software. Holmlia
primary school also uses smart board on Linux, and pupils can download a
vidcast on their iPod, on a mobile device or to recapture important stuff
and lectures to their home computer.

http://odin.dep.no/fad/norsk/aktuelt/nyheter/071001-210039/dok-bn.html

Would't you just join our cool project?

Best regards