Re: cipux: cipux-notifier and cipux-client

Hi,

I was told that I send an empty reply. OK hopefully this is not empty.

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 01:09, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Package: cipux-notifier
>  This is the CipUX Notifier to be used by the CipUX Clients. It monitors
>  the LDAP configuration value CipUX_Notify_Clients and notifies all
>  connected Clients when a change occurs.
>
> Package: cipux-client
>  It creates the netfilter chain "noout" at first and then connects to the
>  Notifier and changes the iptables rules if necessary to allow or disallow
> users
>  the access to the internet (according to the LDAP-Values).
>

> According to an older discussion (with Christan iirc), which resulted in
> http://developer.skolelinux.no/~holger/CipUX/needed_packages.txt we should
> skip those packages, but they are still in debian/control.

You can skip them or add them. They are for major interest of teachers. And
this 2 packages are or should be debian compliant, as they are new and
written by Benedikt Wildenhain.

But they are not tested.

> Does that mean, that debian-edu (including .fr and .de) doesn't need them,
> so they don't need to be in the debian-edu depends/recommends but should be
> build for debian(-edu)?

??
They need them, when they are tested and working.

The suggestion to skip them was just to save time for the moment.

(Because me and Benedikt have not time for fixing problems with that packages
this year)

> Or should they be completly removed from debian/control?

Well no. (if that is possible)

@Benedikt, can you fix that?

> I have
> doubts any ftpmaster (neither in debian nor in debian-edu) will accept the
> package like this.

I have no experience with that.
@Xavier, what do you think?

> It's enough if you explain it here on the list, if I understand this, I can
> commit the changes myself :)

ok, As far as I have understood this the cipux-client can disable the access
for internet on a client by discarding the packages for 10.0.2.1. But it do
only so if he gets a message. And guess how sends the message?
cipux-notifier.

The status of this packages can be described as experimental, I think.

Greetings
Christian