Re: Fwd: Re: Administration tools

Hi

> there is redundancy that could be stimulating, but that is also
> frustrating as we may redo something that already exists.
>
> I wonder how we could help with more collaboration on all these projects.
>
> Is there also in debian a centralized tool that manage all the requests ?
Yes there is, the answer might be stupid but the idea behind it is a big one
from which we all will get benefits.
The tool is the BTS on bugs.debian.org
Yes currently we are doing things twice or even more times and I completely
agree that this is not neccessary.
And I also see that we are all contributing into OpenSource and that we want
to offer free software to our users.
Another point which combines us is that we are using Debian.
As you pointed out in a direct way (for instance as a subproject or a CDD) or
even as Ubuntu which also syncs from Debian.
So the best way is to always split the work and make sure that we are talking
about specific packages and bring them into Debian.

The easy example would look like:

There is an interesting application which is needed. We are adapting it for
Debian and debianizing it. Then we upload it to Debian. Then it is in Debian
sid (unstable) and after some time it will show up in an official stable
release and then it is automatically a part of Debian-Edu .
In the meanwhile Ubuntu can do the sync and then it also appears there and all
of us benefit from it.

The point we all have to understand is that the following statement hurts us
and is therefore not very helpful.
"Having the application xy in our own repository (Debian-Edu or Edubuntu) so
that we have an advantage in comparision to the other distros ."

The package won't be supported by Debian infrastructure and we have to
maintain it completely alone. With that we might succeed for 1, 2, 3, 50 or
whatever packages but one day we will come to our limit and then we will
completely fail and can stop our work :(

So let's join the forces and bring things into Debian. The same matches for
translations. If we translate something in Debian it will also be translated
for Ubuntu,Edubuntu, Debian-Edu, Linex, ...

And even if we have some points in Debian which we don't like or which we want
to improve, for instance wikis or translation tools, then we have to complain
about it, find out how we can help by improving it and improve it and then
we'll make life easier for the next generation.

Thanks and Greetings
Steffen