Re: Changes on debian-edu-config

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:07:38 +0100
Benjamin Sonntag <benjamin@sonntag.fr> wrote:

> You are right, debian now frowns on this behavior, I deleted the
> undocumented links.
> (I did not find it in the policy manual, but only in "man
> dh_undocumented")

Then perhaps file a bug against the policy manual (sorry, don't know
what magic name that has in the BTS), to help others in same situation
as you :-)

> Furthemore, the policy told me that missing man
> pages are considered as a bug, so a new bug has been filed in
> bugs.sk.no  (#1030)

Please file such bug in the Debian BTS rather than the Skolelinux one.

This may not be obvious, so here is my understanding on best approach:

 * Use Debian BTS for packages in Debian maintained by debian-edu
 * Use Debian BTS for packages in Debian used as-is in Skolelinux
 * Use Debian BTS for packages in Debian rebuild in Skolelinux, if the
   Debian package maintainer welcomes such bug reports.
 * Use Skolelinux BTS for packages in Debian but rebuild for Skolelinux
   if the package maintainer is not explicitly interested in them
 * Use Skolelinux BTS for packages only in Debian.

This is one reason to minimize backports, sideports and local hacks:
Even if you are careful yourself with each derivation off using "pure"
Debian packages, you make it more confusing also on bugreporters to
optimally help out.

> About policy and compatibility of debian-edu-config, lintian told me
> that :
>
> W: debian-edu-config source:
> package-uses-deprecated-debhelper-compat-version 1
> -> should we use "4" compat file stamp ?
>
> W: debian-edu-config source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.6.1
> -> shall-we put more recent standards-version ? current policy version
> is 3.6.2.2.

Read /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.txt.gz and if you
are sure the newest version of policy is actually obeyed then bump up
the version in the package to 3.6.2 (last digit is only related to
typos, so irrelevant for declaring in packages).

> >>- added /etc/default/backdoor empty file (with explanations)
> >>

> >The backdoor system have a problem and should probably be fixed
> >before it is better documented.  It can make upgrades hang, I
> >believe, because the background script isn't closing all the file
> >descriptors.

Perhaps using launchtool or daemon (see the Debian packages of the
same names) would help solve this?

No, I am not volunteering to do this myself.

 - Jonas

- --