low ram and ltsp

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 06:14:52PM +0200, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Another cumbersome side effect is that the mininum amount of RAM has
> risen to >32 MB. Our partner school in Nairobi has machines with 16 MB
> only :(

i documented some options for using swap with ltsp on:

http://bugs.debian.org/367606

16MB might be difficult, but i think you should be able to get 32MB
working with an nbd swap setup, or local swap on hard disk.

i was able to get it to the boot screen with 24MB of ram and nbd swap,
don't know how well it would actually perform, though.

debian-edu might be able to implement a script that generates all the
swapfiles, since they currently can't be generated on demand.

live well,
  vagrant