Re: Suggestions to reduce spams in slschools database

[Ralf Gesellensetter]
> From time to time, obscure advertisements are placed in our Database.
> Suggested Solutions
>
>  1.    Send mail to commits mailing list whenever a new entry is added.

I like this one, as it allow everyone to be aware of the problem and
perhaps participate in solving it.  On the other hand, if done wrong,
it just allow the spammer to gain a larger audience for his spam.

Can the PHP script use /usr/sbin/sendmail to send emails?

>  2.  Hide URLs of new schools until an admin confirms the validity
>      of the new entry

This add a bottleneck, and have the potential of blocking all updates
if the admin is missing like has happened in the past.

>  3.    Make URLs non-clickable in general.

Not very convenient, as we want to make the list easy to use for those
wanting to check out the other users of skolelinux.

If you get emailing working, I suggest starting to email the people
behind each entry once or twice a year, to ask them to check their
entry.  It should increase the database quality a bit.

Friendly,