Re: Adding Hebrew Support to Skolelinux

Dear Lior,

as noone else seems to have the time to respond, I will take the part.
However, I might not be the right person for core issues. So, please
comment, Norge ;)

Generally, I think we are pleased to have another locale joining
Debian-Edu. So be welcome aboard.

Am Sonntag 08 Januar 2006 21:30 schrieb Lior Kaplan:
> A few questions:
>
> 1. The packages I mentioned (libfribidi0, culmus,
> python2.3-pyfribidi) take only 1 MB. I'm sure this something that can
> be pushed to the CD for having the installed system support Hebrew.

In terms of this, you might be right. Personally, I support this request
(remove gperiodics for this as we have kalzium). However I this could
be taken as precedence case for further locales, and it is always hard
to vote for any additional packages.

For this reason there had been requests to split up the CD like
 A. base system + applications
 B. core locale + language packages
 C. primary schools | secondary schools

But there was nevere any decision. The silence on your question shows
that there is a need for a turn in one or another direction in order
not to stand still here.

> 2. From your message it seems that your doors are closed for other
> languages than the 6 languages your mentioned. Any plans to make an
> automatic process to have more than one version of the official CD?
> (e.g. if you want language X support, select disk Y from our official
> release)

As I told, this discussion had been stalled. One option could be to set
up a CD build environment and have different settings for spin-off-CDs.
Another could be patching the image (but I doubt this will work due to
compression).

> 3. If the answer for 2 is NO, than can you put the Hebrew support
> without the OO.org translation (which you said is the biggest space
> consumer) ?

Is there any workaround possible like installing missing locale packages
either from Internet or from an adjacent extra CD?

> > A big percentage of preinstalled educational software comes from
> > KDE-Edu. Here we might lack Hebrew localisations in part (I know
> > about difficulites with ktouch for instance).
>
> Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure KDE-Edu is on top of our
> translation list. We are almost half way:
> http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk/he/kdeedu/index.php

This looks well. Are you translating KDE 3.3 (with SLX Sarge) or KDE 4
(version to come)?

> > All in all I think it is a wise idea to join Debian-Edu, as all
> > your efforts will flow back to the main stream, thus having ten
> > times the effects as they might have with local adaptions.
>
> My worst case scenario is that we'll have to reinstall some of the
> packages from an unofficial repository to have the Hebrew translation
> in them.

Is this your issue? Are those packages missing in Debian Sarge? If it is
only this, people like Steffen should be able to upload your language
packages to the official skolelinux repositories.

Regards
Ralf