Re: Adding Hebrew Support to Skolelinux

RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Hello Lior,
>
> welcome to Skolelinux.

Thanks.

> Am Samstag 07 Januar 2006 20:40 schrieb Lior Kaplan:
>
>>Are there any other project specific screens/menus? I'll appreciate
>>if you could like to their templates.
>
> Apart from those few screens showing up during installation, there is no
> specific stuff installed with skolelinux that needs further
> translation. Another thing, of course, is documentation and web
> presentation, e.g. the list of skolelinux using schools (which would
> love to show a spot in Israel) to be found at
>
> http://www.skolelinux.org/portal/user_experience/test_schools/test_schools_add

Can you link to the location of the templates for translation? I'd like
to start with this.

> As for language packages on the install CD, there are already some
> (Norwegian, German, English, Italian, French, Spanish IIRC) that eat up
> a lot of space (especially for Openoffice.org). I doubt that we can
> have even more locales on the default CD - but maybe there is a simple
> way to patch the CD for non-European regions.

A few questions:

1. The packages I mentioned (libfribidi0, culmus, python2.3-pyfribidi)
take only 1 MB. I'm sure this something that can be pushed to the CD for
having the installed system support Hebrew.

2. From your message it seems that your doors are closed for other
languages than the 6 languages your mentioned. Any plans to make an
automatic process to have more than one version of the official CD?
(e.g. if you want language X support, select disk Y from our official
release)

3. If the answer for 2 is NO, than can you put the Hebrew support
without the OO.org translation (which you said is the biggest space
consumer) ?

> A big percentage of preinstalled educational software comes from
> KDE-Edu. Here we might lack Hebrew localisations in part (I know about
> difficulites with ktouch for instance).

Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure KDE-Edu is on top of our translation
list. We are almost half way:
http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk/he/kdeedu/index.php

> All in all I think it is a wise idea to join Debian-Edu, as all your
> efforts will flow back to the main stream, thus having ten times the
> effects as they might have with local adaptions.

My worst case scenario is that we'll have to reinstall some of the
packages from an unofficial repository to have the Hebrew translation in
them.

> Regards
> Ralf.

- --