Re: no more "one CD fits all" ...and then?

El Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 05:32:08PM -0600, Vagrant Cascadian va escriure:
> > > one that i had mentioned in IRC would be to put the installer,
> > > language-specific packages and core packages on one CD, with everything
> > > else on the second CD.
> >
> > "Language-specific packages" means above all kde-i18n-*.
> > To include kde-i18n-* without the applications strikes me as backwards.
> > Hence I would suggest the reverse procedure.  Put the applications
> > on the first CD and the language specific packages on the second.
>
> well, the issue being that debian-installer takes up a considerable
> amount of space on the CD(maybe 70-100MB).  the install process may require
> access to localization packages, but not necessarily anything else
> beyond the core system.  so with an installer+localization CD and a
> second applications CD, frees up considerable space for additional
> applications and localizations, and makes it simple to determine what
> goes on which CD...
>
> this way, the install process would be one CD, and additional package
> installation would be the second- rather than the possibility of needing
> to switch CDs at some arbitrary point during additional package
> installation.
>
> it was just another idea on how to divide the packages, but maybe it
> wouldn't actually pan out (i.e.  when do localization packages get
> installed?)

  Related to that, I've been thinking about an interesting possibility for
  classroom installations that makes less important if you use one or two CD
  when installing a classroom.

  The idea is that the installation is done first on the server and the rest
  of installations are done from the network, using a copy of the installer
  and the packages that live on the server.

  The simplest option is to make the server copy the installer and all the
  packages to HD and export them using a network filesystem (nfs/samba) or a
  file archive server (ftp/http).

  Once the copy is done and the needed servers are up and running the clients
  can be installed using the debian-installer from the network (i.e. using
  PXE) or with the first CD, taking packages from the server archive instead
  of the CD.

  Note that the model assumes a full server install before the clients can be
  installed, but for faster classroom installations we can define an special
  profile that installs a minimal server to allow client installations before
  doing the full server installation.

  Using this kind of system only the server requires two CD and there is only
  one CD change, as after the package copy all can be done from HD.

  Greetings,

    Sergio.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69