Re: Some notes on the next generation LTSP (getting LTSP into Debian/main)

[Matt Zimmerman]
> The openssh-* split is going to happen in Debian also now that Sarge
> has been released.

Right.  I'll try to make a version that work on both etch and sarge,
if possible.

> I assume this depends on a newer debootstrap, since it must resolve
> dependencies?

Yes.  I'm not sure if I am happy with that requirement, but it is an
easy way to get it to work with CD installs.  We might have to come up
with a better approach.

> Debian's xorg packages should be compatible with the existing
> method.

Yes.  But I want to come up with a method that work on sarge as well.
Not sure what the best way is.  Perhaps moving the X dependencies and
init.d scripts into a separate package (xdebconfigurator is basicly
that), or separate scripts, or perhaps add some hooks I can override
for sarge.  Not sure.

> You also changed the command line syntax.

Yes, new optional arguments to find the mirror and select package
lists.  The mirror detection might be made automatic by looking in
/etc/apt/sources.list, but I'm not sure if it can be made to work for
all configurations.

A few quesions:

 - Why is /etc/network/interfaces generated both in ltsp-build-client
   and in ltsp-client.ltsp-client-setup.init.  The latter version do
   not include config for eth0 (dhcp), while tie first do.  I suspect
   the latter is suffucient, but am a bit confused here.

 - Part of the scripts in client/ seem to be overrided by the content
   of ltsp-client.ltsp-client-setup.init.  Why?

 - Why do server/ltsp-update-kernels place the kernels and initrd into
   the client root?  I believed these only was needed on the tftp
   server.

 - Is there an version control repository where I can fetch your
   current version of the source?

I'll come up with more questions later. :)