Re: Some notes on the next generation LTSP (getting LTSP into Debian/main)

Petter,

I think the idea of getting LTSP into Debian is an excellent idea.

I've worked with Matt a little bit on this. I helped do the Ubuntu
specification, but I've not been as involved in the actual coding
as I would like to be.Unfortunately, I've got a million different
things competing for my time.

I will try to help out wherever I can though.

One of my biggest concerns with the current integration of LTSP into
Ubuntu is that it will be too slow at booting.  There's an awful lot of
ubuntu auto-detection going on, that requires Python and alot of other
stuff.  Whereas, the LTSP auto-detection is rather primitive, but very
light-weight. I suspect the best methods lie somewhere in between what
Ubuntu does, and what LTSP does, and it's going to take some time to
sort that all out.

The other concern that I have is that we really need to make sure that
LTSP on Ubuntu can still work on fairly low-end machines.  I think it's
still pretty common to find old Pentium-I 90 Mhz machines with only 32mb
of ram, and they make excellent thin clients using the current LTSP.
I hope they continue to work fine on Ubuntu-LTSP.

It's been a few weeks since I've seen Matt's work and even at that time,
I was absolutely amazed at how far Matt had gotten with it.  Based on
what I've seen of Matt, I'm guessing he's got things working pretty well
by now.

Jim McQuillan
jam@Ltsp.org